Introducing Eversheds Sutherland. Providing quality, innovation and consistency in legal services delivery around the globe from 61 offices in 29 countries.
Eversheds Sutherland, created by the combination of leading law firms, Eversheds, headquartered in the U.K., and Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP, based in the U.S., launches globally today under the name Eversheds Sutherland.
With more than 2,300 lawyers in 61 offices across 29 countries, Eversheds Sutherland ranks in the top 10 in UK listings and top 40 in U.S. and global listings.
The two firms announced on December 16, 2016 that their respective partners had voted overwhelmingly to combine. Since then, both firms have been working closely to advance the shared goal of providing clients with quality, innovation and consistency in legal services delivery around the globe. Today, the combination is effective.
Eversheds Chief Executive, Bryan Hughes, commented:
“Establishing a truly global platform for our clients, including a strong presence in the U.S., has long been our number one strategic priority. I am delighted that, with the creation of Eversheds Sutherland, that vision finally becomes a reality. Sutherland shares completely our approach to the creation of meaningful long term relationships with clients to deliver the very highest levels of service. We are very much looking forward to working together, collaborating as equal partners to create a new and powerful offering in the legal sector.”
Sutherland Managing Partner, Mark Wasserman, commented:
“We are grateful for the overwhelmingly positive response we have received from our clients, partners and staff about the bright future ahead for Eversheds Sutherland. This new relationship strengthens our core competencies and provides us the opportunity to expand our client services globally. Working together with our new colleagues worldwide, we are committed to delivering the benefits of this broadened international platform to our clients.”
Eversheds Managing Partner and CEO-Elect, Lee Ranson, commented:
“Since the partner vote, things have moved on apace which says a lot about the collaborative relationship that already exists between us. Our joint focus is clear – it’s all about client service both for existing arrangements and in enhancing our offering for those who could benefit. The reaction internally and externally so far could not have been better with the opportunities and work presented to us already sending us a clear message that our global platform and approach to quality, innovation and client service is highly compelling.”
Eversheds Sutherland will be led by joint CEOs as part of a six-strong global management team. Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP Managing Partner and CEO-Elect, Lee Ranson, and Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP Managing Partner, Mark Wasserman, have been appointed as joint CEOs.
The other members of the global management team are: Keith Froud and Ian Gray from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and Victor Haley and Thomas Gick, until April 2017, to be followed by Cynthia Krus, from Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP.
Eversheds Sutherland Ltd is overseen by a global Board of ten with equal representation from both firms. From Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP: Keith Froud, Lee Ranson, Paul Smith, plus two rotating members from their international board and Regional Managing Partner team. From Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP: Ben Clark, Thomas Gick until April, Cynthia Krus from April, Robert Pile, Eric Tresh and Mark Wasserman.
There are no significant internal structural changes anticipated within either firm and respective practice group heads are working together to co-lead client initiatives.
For more information on Eversheds Sutherland, visit eversheds-sutherland.com.
About Eversheds Sutherland
- Both firms operate under Eversheds Sutherland Ltd, an English Company Limited by Guarantee.
- The two firms between them represent an impressive range of major and international clients, including:
- 57 of the FTSE 100 companies and 85 of the FTSE mid-250
- 71 of the US Fortune 100 and 119 of the Fortune 200
- The respective revenue of the two firms, if added together, would represent a scale that would rank in the UK top10 as well as US Global Top40 within legal publication listings.
Job titles of Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP management mentioned in the release:
- Ben Clark – Partner; member of the Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP Executive Committee
- Thomas Gick – Executive Partner (until April 2017) of Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP
- Victor Haley – Partner, Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP; Leads the US real estate practice
- Cynthia Krus – Partner; elected to succeed Thomas Gick as Executive Partner (in April 2017) of Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP
- Robert Pile – Partner; member of the Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP Executive Committee
- Eric Tresh – Partner; member of the Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP Executive Committee
- Mark Wasserman – Managing Partner of Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP and Co-CEO of Eversheds Sutherland Limited
Job titles of Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP management mentioned in the release:
- Keith Froud – Practice Group Head; member of the Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP Executive Committee
- Ian Gray – International Managing Partner; member of the Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP Executive Committee
- Bryan Hughes – CEO; Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
- Lee Ranson – Managing Partner and CEO-Elect; Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and Co-CEO of Eversheds Sutherland Limited
- Paul Smith – Chairman; Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
About Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
- Eversheds operates in 55 offices across 28 jurisdictions across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
- Some 3,500 people work across Eversheds, including more than 500 Partners and almost 2000 lawyers in all.
- In the financial year 2015/16* Eversheds delivered revenue of £406m ($548m) producing net distributable profit of £87.6m ($118.3m) and PEP of £742k ($1,002k).
- The firm has four main practice areas, namely Corporate/Commercial, Human Resources, Litigation and Dispute Management and Real Estate. Eversheds also has a strong track record in a number of key sectors, including Consumer, Diversified Industrials, Energy, Financial Services, TMT and Transport and a reputation for global client relationship management and service delivery.
- The second highest number of category rankings of all firms in 2016 Chambers UK and Legal 500 directories, over 40% of which are top tier. Eversheds is also ranked in 53 practice areas in Chambers Global 2016.
- In Chambers Europe 2016, the firm is ranked in 92 categories, with 106 lawyers ranked as leading individuals. In The Legal 500 EMEA, the firm achieves 154 practice area rankings. Whilst in the Legal 500 Asia 2016, Eversheds achieves recognition in 11 practice areas.
- Eversheds has strong brand strength and recognition, evidenced by being ranked 1st in the 2016 Acritas UK Law Firm Brand Index and 16th in the 2016 Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index.
- The firm has consistently appeared in The Times Top 50 employer for women index and featured in the Stonewall Top 100 employers index for LGBT every year since 2009.
* Exchange rate used: $1.35 to £1
About Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP
- Sutherland has offices in many of the most important and fastest growing cities in the U.S. – Atlanta, Austin, Houston, New York, Sacramento, California and Washington DC – as well as offices in London and Geneva.
- With more than 600 people, including 170 partners and more than 200 additional lawyers.
- Sutherland delivered more than $300m of revenue in 2015 and net profit of $121m, providing PEP of more than $1m.
- The primary practice areas in Sutherland are Corporate, Energy and Environmental, Financial Services, Intellectual Property, Litigation, Real Estate and Tax.
- 21 practices and 56 lawyers are named among the nation’s best in Chambers USA 2016 and 28 Sutherland practices earned national rankings as part of the 2017 U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” survey.
- Sutherland is listed in the U.S. by BTI Consulting Group in its 2016 Client Service 30, a list of law firms recognized for delivering superior client service. Of more than 300 firms recognized in its BTI Client Service A-Team 2016, Sutherland was ranked 17th.
- It is also ranked 31st of more than 400 law firms in the BTI Brand Elite 2016 listing and is recognized as one of 19 firms, out of 650 firms serving large clients, classed as “Best Brand Builder”.
- Sutherland received a 100% ranking from the Human Rights Campaign for benefits and protections for LGBT employees and their families, and also has a strong overall commitment to diversity.