Eversheds Sutherland uses industry know-how to strategically advise and address the unique needs of energy clients in their energy transactions.
Eversheds Sutherland’s Energy Mergers and Acquisitions team understands the diverse energy markets across all sectors of the industry, covering the production, transportation, distribution and marketing of energy in all its forms, including fossil fuels, renewable power and alternative fuels. As a result, we structure deals that make commercial sense, both in financial terms and within the specific parameters of the industry. We focus on the distinct demands and opportunities that exist in energy-related transactions.
We work with clients across the energy industry to structure transactions that achieve their business goals. Our knowledge of the energy markets includes a thorough understanding of highly complex regulatory and tax regimes that govern each segment. For example, we know the ins and outs of FERC requirements, federal and state renewable energy tax incentives, oil depletion allowances and federal and state regulations governing the impact of pipeline construction and refinery emissions. Further, we regularly draw upon the relevant expertise of specific practice groups, such as financing, environmental, antitrust, employee benefits, real estate and intellectual property.
Eversheds Sutherland’s multidisciplinary team of lawyers is well positioned to assist energy companies, from major oil and gas companies to independent power producers to utilities to commodity trading firms and institutional investors, in achieving their business objectives.
Why Eversheds Sutherland
Energy experience. Our energy industry experience enables us to find approaches and solutions that generalist corporate M&A attorneys don’t often uncover.
Range. Eversheds Sutherland’s knowledge across sectors has a meaningful impact on our work for energy clients, whether they are acquiring an electric cooperative, power generation assets or a regulated utility; selling a pipeline or refinery or purchasing a commodity trading book.
Complete service. Our attorneys regularly engage in M&A activities on behalf of strategic buyers, financial investors and sellers at every stage of energy including production, transportation, distribution and marketing. We manage transactions across all segments of the energy sector.
Regulatory understanding. Our energy M&A team can spot issues arising from the complex rules and regulations governing the energy business. Our lawyers regularly deal with federal, state and local regulations from FERC requirements to CFTC issues, and from EPA mandates to anti-competition rules.
Tax savvy. Our energy M&A team includes federal and state tax lawyers intimately familiar with energy transactions and we structure transactions to maximize tax efficiency.
Comprehensive team. Eversheds Sutherland’s cross-disciplinary team is positioned to advise clients in important issues in energy M&A transactions in other areas including environmental, real estate, employee benefits and intellectual property.
Nuts and Bolts
Eversheds Sutherland attorneys advise on the full spectrum of energy company transactions including:
- Purchase and sale of
- Commodity trading books and related assets, including oil, gas power and metals products
- Power generation assets, including interests in natural gas, coal, nuclear and renewable energy facilities
- Renewable energy assets, including interests in solar, wind, biomass (including landfill gas), geothermal and hydroelectric generating facilities
- Oilfield services companies, lines of business and equipment on behalf of publicly held oilfield services companies and financial institutions
- Retail electric and gas providers
- Energy service companies
- Mergers and acquisitions of natural gas and electric utility companies on behalf of energy service companies, financial institutions, electric cooperatives and public utility holding companies
- Purchase, sale and investment in downstream energy assets, from refineries and other petrochemical facilities to terminals and storage facilities
- Purchase, sale and financing of midstream energy assets, including natural gas transportation pipelines, gathering systems and storage facilities as well as oil pipeline facilities
- Purchase, sale or joint purchase of interests in upstream energy assets, for both oil and gas producing and exploration assets, for domestic and international clients
Eversheds Sutherland’s energy M&A clients deal with attorneys who understand the intricacies of the energy business—lawyers well-versed in the different energy sources, technologies, regulations and the special tax-code treatment of energy companies.