From charters to mergers, Sutherland provides comprehensive counsel to banks, thrifts and holding companies—and to their boards.
Eversheds Sutherland's Banking & Financial Institutions Practice Group serves as counsel for banks, thrifts and holding companies and for their boards of directors. Our lawyers practice before all the relevant federal and state agencies that oversee banks and other financial institutions, and handle all aspects of banking issues from M&A transactions and regulatory matters to bank charters, product development and litigation. Our bottom-line approach puts Eversheds Sutherland in a class of its own. Banks know that our priority is achieving their business goals.
Banking litigation tends to increase in tough economic times, and our Litigation Group litigates issues growing out of the lender-borrower relationship. Recently, we defended cases involving all types of lender liability claims, represented lenders in various intercreditor disputes and represented the lead lender in disputes with participants. We defend consumer class actions filed in state and federal courts and handle all forms of bankruptcy litigation.
Why Eversheds Sutherland
M&A acumen. Our attorneys arrange numerous transactions for many types of depository institutions, their affiliates and intermediaries. We counsel both sellers and purchasers of banks, thrifts and their holding companies and have experience in purchase and assumption transactions involving bank branches and other banking assets.
Regulatory compliance. Our attorneys know the complex fabric of state and federal regulations, as well as industry practices that affect client operations. We are well versed in regulatory matters affecting the latest innovations in the banking industry. Daily we advise banks, thrifts and other institutions on every aspect of compliance.
Corporate governance. Our banking group counsels boards of directors of banks, thrifts and holding companies on corporate governance issues.
Cost consciousness. Our lawyers are adept at cost-effective management of transactions and litigation. Through the innovative use of technology, document forms and customized training for attorneys and paralegals, we continually seek to achieve the high level of efficiency in handling transactions and litigation that is necessary in today's competitive environment.
Diverse client base. Our approach has brought us a varied client base, including domestic and foreign depository institutions, investment banks, commercial finance companies, insurance companies and other institutional lenders. In addition, we represent both domestic and foreign borrowers and issuers of debt securities, as well as underwriters and purchasers of debt securities, in all types of public and private financing transactions. By serving a diverse range of clients with varied needs, Eversheds Sutherland attorneys have gained enviable knowledge and experience in this field.
Nuts and Bolts
We assist many depository institutions and their investors in chartering and structuring matters. Our services include:
- Obtaining regulatory approvals for new charters of banks, thrifts and other financial institutions and their holding companies
- Forming holding companies
- Effecting conversions of depository institutions from one type of charter to another and from mutual to stock form
- Advising investors in Change in Bank Control Act and in Bank Holding Company Act control issues and related regulatory applications
Eversheds Sutherland’s Banking & Financial Institutions Group has extensive experience with M&A including:
- Counsel to both sellers and purchasers of banks, thrifts and their holding companies, including negotiation and documentation, application for regulatory approval, and transaction consummation.
- Purchase and assumption transactions involving bank branches and other assets.
- Acquisition and sale of insurance agencies, title companies, investment advisers and mortgage companies.
We have experience advising depository institutions and non-banks during challenging economic times and recovery, including:
- Submitting applications for Small Business Lending Fund programs (“SBLF”) and Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP) Funds for public and private depository institutions
- Creating alternative financial services products and new product offerings that are compliant with Dodd-Frank and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Advising bidders for failed banks
- Raising private capital for depository institutions
- Issuance of subordinated debt
- Advising clients regarding deposit insurance coverage of accounts and products
The Banking Group counsels boards of directors of banks, thrifts and holding companies on a variety of corporate governance issues including:
- Representing officers and directors of failed community banks in investigations by the FDIC, OCC, OTS, NCUA and other bank regulators
- Assisting clients in offerings of equity, debt and hybrid securities and in preparing related offering documents
- Structuring board committees
- Approving and documenting transactions with insiders
- Planning and conducting annual and special shareholders’ meetings
From Wall Street to rural America, banks and financial institutions turn to Eversheds Sutherland for counsel that understands and achieves their business objectives.